The EC PTA is a group of parents, educators and administrators working to support the EC population and the Durham Council of PTA's mission, which is: "One voice for every child in DPS advocating for the education, health, and success of all children and youth while building strong families and communities".
EC PTA Purpose
To improve the opportunities of Exceptional Children by increasing parent and educator involvement in the Exceptional Children’s program; to elevate EC concerns or issues from parents, educators, staff and community to the DPS administration to effect the outcomes of policy decision making.
EC PTA Mission
To facilitate communication and to provide support, education, and resources.
- Maintain a list of EC PTA Volunteers
- Maintain Email / Web Group
- Publicize Special Events and Training
- Work with Other Agencies
- Encourage parents of Exceptional Children
- Encourage Exceptional Children
- Encourage and Support Exceptional Children Personnel
- Sponsor Parent / EC Personnel Training
- Work with Other Agencies to Identify Training Opportunities
- Make Entire DPS population aware of EC needs
- Identify Needed Resources, both in DPS and in the Community
- Assist Appropriate Agencies in Obtaining Resources
- Be a Source for EC Families for Available Resources